Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report Birth Abroad

Persons born abroad to U.S. parent(s) may have acquired citizenship at birth.  This determination is based upon a variety of facts:  the law in effect at the time of birth, the amount of time the American citizen parent(s) have lived in the U.S. prior to the birth and, in some cases the marital status of the biological parents.  To apply for a Consular Report of Birth and U.S. Passport for the child the parents must apply in person at the U.S. Embassy in Paramaribo.

A comprehensive overview on the Consular Report of Birth Abroad can be found on the State Department's travel website.

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 is an amendment of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act that provides alternative ways by which children of U.S. citizens may become U.S. citizens when their parents are unable to transmit citizenship.

Please keep in mind that all documents presented should be in the English language.


Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.