Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Passport Services

Applying for a U.S. Passport

All persons applying for U.S. passports in Suriname or French Guiana must appear before a Consular Officer at the U.S. Embassy in Paramaribo, Suriname.


You must make an appointment online for all non-emergency passport services.

The average time for processing a new passport is approximately 10 working days from the time of the application.  However, U.S. citizens are encouraged to apply early for renewal of their expiring passports.

Steps to follow in order to apply for a U.S. Passport:

1. Complete form DS-11 or DS-82 “Application for Passport”

Complete form DS-82 if your last passport:

  • Was issued within the last 15 years,
  • Has not deteriorated, AND
  • Will be submitted with your application

Complete form DS-11 if:

  • You are 16 years old or younger,
  • It is your first passport application, OR
  • Your previous passport was lost or stolen

2. Make an appointment online

3. Submit proof of U.S. citizenship

You can prove that you are a U.S. citizen by submitting any of the following documents:

  • Previous U.S. passport
  • Birth certificate issued by the city, county or state where you were born
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
  • Naturalization certificate

4. Submit proof of identity

You can prove your identity by submitting any of the following documents:

  • Previous U.S. passport
  • Naturalization certificate
  • Valid U.S. driver’s license with photo
  • Valid Government Identification card (city, state, federal)
  • Valid Military Identification card (for military personnel and their dependants) 

5. Submit one passport photo

Your picture must have the following characteristics:

  • 5 x 5 cm.
  • Taken within the last 6 months
  • Color
  • White or off-white background

Passport Fees 



Execution Fee

Total Fee

Adult First Passport Application
(16 years and over)
[Form DS-11]

USD 110

USD 25

USD 135

Minor (younger than 16)
[Form DS-11]

USD 80

USD 25

USD 105

Adult Passport Renewal
(16 years old and over)
[Form DS-82]

USD 110

USD 110

Additional Pages
[Form DS-4085]

USD 82

USD 82

Payment methods: Surinamese Dollars or U.S. dollars.

Additional requirements for minor children under 16, applying for U.S. passports:

Submit one of the following documents as proof of relationship between the minor and his/her parents/guardians

  • Original, U.S  birth certificate (with the name of both parents included in it)
  • Original birth certificate from a foreign country (with the name of both parents included in it, and translated into English if necessary)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) (with the name of both parents included in it)
  • Adoption decree (with the name of both adoptive parents included in it)
  • Court order establishing legal custody of the minor child
  • Court order establishing legal guardianship of the minor child

Submit proof of parents’ identification  

Both parents must appear with the minor when applying for his/her passport and sign the application in front of a Consular Officer.  If one of the parents cannot appear at the Consulate, the other parent must bring evidence of sole custody of the child or a signed form DS-3053 "Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor under Age 16".

Replacing a lost or stolen passport:

1.  Report the stolen passport to the local authorities

2.  Complete form DS-64 "Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport"

3.  Complete the Steps to follow in order to apply for a U.S. Passport above, using form DS-11

How to change your name in your valid passport:

Applicants who wish to change their name in their passport must first complete form DS-60 “Affidavit Regarding Change of Name.”  

If you are making the change within one year of date of issue, complete form DS-5504 and make an appointment online.  There is no fee for changes to passports within one year of the issue date of the passport. 

After one year, follow the Steps to follow in order to apply for a U.S. Passport above, using for DS-82 (If you cannot legally document your name change, use form DS-11).  You will be charged for a new, full validity passport.

For more information on this process, please send an email to or visit Applying for a U.S. Passport from outside the United States.


Make an Appointment!

  • Make an Appointment!

Location & Contact Info

  • U.S. Embassy Paramaribo, Suriname
    Dr. Sophie Redmondstraat 129
    Paramaribo, Suriname

    +597 472 900

    Consular Section Tel:
    +597 472 900 ext 2236
    Consular Section Fax
    +597 425 788
    Consular Section Email:

Important notice

  • Important notice on entering or departing the U.S.

    According to Section 215 of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185), it is illegal for an American citizen to enter or leave the U.S. on anything other than an American passport.  This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding both American and another country's citizenship must enter and depart from the U.S. on a valid U.S. passport.  This applies to both children and adults.